[fpc-pascal] Re: fpdoc executable both in bin and utils\fpdoc - but not fpdoc.css

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Aug 14 10:43:56 CEST 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> On 14-8-2012 10:31, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

>>> Fine, I understand that, but what is fpdoc then doing in the bin
>>> directory?
>>
>> The binary ? Where would you put it if not in bin ?
> Sure, sure, but my point was the connection between fpdoc.css and
> fpdoc.exe...
> Not that important, please see below.
>
>> The fpdoc system uses a fpdoc.css file for style. We provide one which
>> can be used, but you are under no obligation to use that file. You can
>> perfectly create one from scratch, or adapt the existing one.
>> Since we do not know what you want to do, we do not 'automagically' copy
>> it to the output.
> The following is meant as constructive advice, not criticism:
> Very well, how many people do you think use fpdoc *and* customize
> fpdoc.css? Even then, copying fpdoc.css to the bin directory would give
> a sensible default, no? If people want to customize it, replace it etc
> they can then always do so.
>
> If you want your fpdoc.exe usable from the bin directory, I'd just copy
> over fpdoc.css during install.
>
> Now we've got 2 different behaviours:
> - fpdoc in the source directory has fpdoc.css and will generate chm/html
> files with it
> - fpdoc in the bin directory doesn't have it.
> In my view this difference in behaviour is unnecessary and only server
> to needlessly further increase the complexity of the fpdoc system...

There is no difference in behaviour.

If you do not specify the location with --css-file, then fpdoc does not
look in the bin directory, only in the current working directory.

That we should distribute the file somewhere is something I agree on,
but I do not think it should be in the bin directory; it's not a binary,
after all.

Michael.