[fpc-pascal] making FPC more code optimized

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 15:11:41 CEST 2012

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 29 Apr 2012, at 14:23, Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior wrote:
>
>> What would be usefull is to move the loads of code stored in
>> sysutils/runtime into a dll/so.
>
> That's mainly useful if the external API of the RTL will ever stabilize, which is certainly not the case today. Otherwise you create a dynamic library hell.

I had to download somebody's archive viewer a few weeks ago: first there
was his binary, then there were his custom DLLs, then there was the MS
runtime. I think it came to about 100Mb in total, which made the
equivalent written using Lazarus look pretty good- once we'd thrashed
out some smartlinking issues.

However there's a definite acceptance problem: in the past I've talked
to people who insisted in programming in C "because the customer might
be bothered about what language we use". Since ABIs (i.e. calling
conventions etc.) have settled down a lot since those days it should, in
theory, no longer be an issue: but I suspect that many old prejudices
remain.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk