[fpc-pascal] Re: RE : RE : Re: SQLDB GetSchemaInfoSQL for indexes etc?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:51:09 CEST 2012

On 19-4-2012 15:37, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

>>> english is not so good ;-)
>>>
>>> stIndexes is currently not implemented: keep it that way (or drop it)
>>> but
>>> add and implement stTableConstraints, stReferentialConstraints,
>>> stKeyColumnUsage,
>>> stConstraintColumnUsage and stConstraintTableUsage. And why not some
>>> other
>>> missing information_schema views like 'views' or 'schemata'.
>>>
>>> Delphi compatibility? Delphi adodb defines and implements the following:
>>> type TSchemaInfo = (siAsserts, siCatalogs, siCharacterSets,
>>> siCollations,
>>> siColumns, siCheckConstraints, siConstraintColumnUsage,
>>> siConstraintTableUsage, siKeyColumnUsage, siReferentialConstraints,
>>> siTableConstraints, siColumnsDomainUsage, siIndexes, siColumnPrivileges,
>>> siTablePrivileges, siUsagePrivileges, siProcedures, siSchemata,
>>> siSQLLanguages, siStatistics, siTables, siTranslations, siProviderTypes,
>>> siViews, siViewColumnUsage, siViewTableUsage, siProcedureParameters,
>>> siForeignKeys, siPrimaryKeys, siProcedureColumns);
>> Fine with Ludo's proposal; dropping stIndexes... and adding new ISO
>> compliant stuff if needed.
>> Delphi has at least adodb and dbexpress with various implementations....
>> so not much of a standard.
>>
>> Keeping to the information_schema standard seems like a good idea -
>> especially because it will make it easier to easily get useful info from
>> an ISO SQL 92+ compliant database..
>>
>> Anybody against this? Michael? Joost?
>
> Not against.
>
>> Has anybody used this functionality in sqldb at all?
>
> No. For a simple reason:
>
> I implemented all this information in fpdatadict; I think it belongs
> more there, and definitely not in the basic data API.

I know you put stuff there... ATM there is some overlap between the two.
I don't mind just leaving sqldb alone and just working with fpdatadict &
the fpdd* database specific code... but it's a good idea if we agree
where/if we need to split things.

This:
>> I am trying to see if having a list of indexes in the database
>> connectors would help with the data dictionary
>> (packages\fcl-db\src\datadict)...
>
> It would help, yes.
>
> Michael.
... does confuse me a bit though.

Could you tell me your thoughts on the way you see the split (if any)?
Thanks,
Reinier