[fpc-pascal] ReadComponentRes() implementation and documentation

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:24:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

Two problems here:

1) The documentation is very sparse on this method, and the parameters
and return type are not documented at all
    http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/classes/readcomponentres.html

2) What's the point of including a "delphi compatibility" method if it
isn't compatible with Delphi at all! In fact, that method (and its
similar named friends) aren't implemented at all in FPC.  Having such
a fake and broken method in FPC serves NO purpose at all, and can just
cause troubles when porting Delphi code to FPC (as I have just
noticed). FPC gave no warning that the said method isn't actually
implemented - I would much rather have had the compiler tell me that
that method is not defined, which means I could have fixed my code
easily without hunting for an unknown bug for hours.

My recommendation:
  If they are too specific to Win32 (as the code comment in FPC
suggests), and they are not going to be implemented in FPC correctly,
then rather remove those methods from the RTL. Having a empty
implementation, giving a false sense of delphi support, is far worse!

  - Graeme -