[fpc-pascal] Help: New install problems

Anthony Walter sysrpl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 13:01:59 CEST 2012

I have installed fpc from sources before but it's been a while and I've
forgotten how to get it done, or perhaps something has changed and  need
some help.

When i am trying to do is install and run the latest version of fpc from my
home folder. Here is what I did:

# first I got a working version of fpc installed using
sudo apt-get install fpc

# then i made a ~/fpc and got a copy fpc sources there
svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk lazarus

# finally did a make all follow by make install to my home folder
make all
make install
make install INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/myusername

Great success! Now I have a ~/bin (/home/myusername/bin) folder with all
the fpc binaries as well as ~/share and ~/lib. Then
put /home/myusername/bin in my path.

Problem:

When I type fpc I get:

Free Pascal Compiler version 2.4.4-2ubuntu1 [2011/09/27] for i386
Copyright (c) 1993-2010 by Florian Klaempfl
/usr/lib/fpc/2.4.4/ppc386 [options] <inputfile> [options]

And not the version I just built and installed in my ~/bin folder. When I
open a terminal and cd to ~/bin and execute ./fpc ... I get the same result.

Help:

How do I setup fpc to use the compiler in my ~/bin folder?