[fpc-pascal] Hints on getting FPDocs to work on Linux

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:56:36 CEST 2011

On 18/09/2011, Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> Any hints on which packages to install on Debian Squeeze (current
> stable) or which files are required so I can try generating some FPDocs
> content?

Tip #1:
Install a distro geared for programmers. ;-) Slackware includes
everything a developer needs out of the box. C, C++, Fortan compilers
and more. Compiling FPC or Lazarus works out of the box. FPDoc
generated PDF etc. all work out of the box because LaTeX comes
standard with Slackware. All pretty awesome for any developer.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I can add, that I am working on a rewrite of the RTF output writer for
FPDoc. This will generate RTF docs very similar to the current PDF
ones - including hyperlinking. The current RTF output in any released
FPC is just useless. My idea is that you generate the RTF output, then
open those RTL files with OpenOffice and simply select "Export to
PDF". Much less dependency for Linux, Windows or MacOSX users - well,
most Linux distros include OpenOffice as standard. This idea has
another benefit. Currently the FPDoc PDF output is only A4, but I
prefer A5 for reading on my iPad. I did manage to generate A5 docs but
they have a pretty screwed layout. My initial testing with RTF and
OpenOffice, is that the A5 PDF output is MUCH better.

  - Graeme -