[fpc-pascal] How does fpc Makefiles generate paths?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Sep 13 12:27:01 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, leledumbo said:
> I don't want to maintain two separate tools, so I use unix tools from msys to
> build FPC. Since a few latest release, the tools no longer produce path in
> windows style (e.g. c:/folder/), but in unix style (e.g. \c\folder\). This
> causes failure when building fpc with 'cannot create archive blablabla...'
> message. From exploring msys mailing list, I found that it's either $(pwd)
> and $PWD that generates this path differently. Can anyone tell me which one
> is used by fpc Makefiles (or if it's neither of them, then that other way)?

As fas as I know, PWD is an environment variable, and is initialized to
the pwd.exe program found in the PATH.

Of course make can influence this (some make versions like cygwin's put their "system"
directories always first in the PATH, maybe MSYS does now too).

Afaik FPC mostly uses the last mingw coreutils version, before they were
integrated into msys, because of exactly these reasons. (the unix emulation
paths)