[fpc-pascal] TField.Attributeset explanation?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 10:23:14 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Working on the SQLDB Tutorial1 on the wiki.

I'm struggling with getting dbgrid-driven inserts to work.
Using Firebird employee.fdb CUSTOMER table; CUST_NO is an integer
primary key with Firebird generator/sequence + trigger => sort of an
autonumber/autoinc field.

When inserting records with an empty CUST_NO, I get an error that
CUST_NO is required.

Somebody on a Dutch forum told me to try to predefine SQLQuery field
definitions, and set faRequired to false for CUST_NO.
While that didn't seem to work for me, I thought "why not
programmatically set that property after loading the query" and found
http://freepascal.org/docs-html/fcl/db/tfield.attributeset.html

However, it doesn't say exactly what AttributeSet is meant for, and more
importantly, what values to set.
A grep through the FPC source code didn't help either.

So my questions:
1. What does Attributeset mean
2. What strings can I feed it with
3. Would that help in my case (of course, this is the FPC list, so any
answer to this Lazarus-related question would be a bonus ;)

Sample source code with Windows embedded Firebird dlls, database can be
downloaded from
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero/fpc_laz_patch_playground/downloads/laztut_nlDelphi_embedded4sept.zip

Thanks,
Reinier