[fpc-pascal] How are Assigned, Free, Nil and Destroy related?

Ralf A. Quint FreeDOS at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 21:10:12 CEST 2011

At 11:52 AM 10/23/2011, Frank Peelo wrote:

>If I recall corerctly, that Modula-2 value for nil was the address
>the 8086 jumped to when released from RESET. So jumping through a
>pointer with value nil would be something you would notice pretty
>much immediately.

Certainly not. Modula-2 was/is not depending on any CPU specifics,
certainly not on anything x86, considering that the first computers
Modula-2 ran on were the Xerox Alto and the Lilith, using M-Code, and
both not even a remote connection to anything x86. And a lot of
non-Wirth Modula-2 implementation ran on Motorola 68k before I can
remember to have seen the first x86 implementation (not sure if it
was FST or XDS)...

Ralf