[fpc-pascal] Git line endings leading to patch problems - was [Semi-OT] Git format patches don't seem to work

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:30:48 CEST 2011

On 6-10-2011 17:07, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 06/10/2011, Reinier Olislagers  wrote:
>>
>> Git:
>> https://github.com/graemeg/freepascal/raw/7026b7669fd422f88ffe33174dac1725c0295427/packages/fcl-extra/src/win/ServiceManager.pas
>> => Unix line endings!!!!
>> via git pull etc
>> => Unix line endings
>> not surprising...
>>
>> Seems the SVN client is converting line endings to my native format.
Thanks for the clear explanation.

> Don't be so quick to blame the tool, rather learn how to use the tool!
Not really, I did suggest that smarter users than me might have a
solution... ;)

> If you want Git to convert EOL characters to your native platform,
> then tell it to do so during the Git installation (which you clearly
> skipped or didn't understand the options), or specify it later as a
> global or per repository option (normally before a 'git clone'
> process).
Thanks, that matches with what I found out.

> Here it show the option you somehow skipped to notice in the Git installation:
>   http://opensoft.homeip.net:8080/~graemeg/msysgit-1.png
Did see that, thought about it & obviously picked the wrong one ;)

> To find out more about the core.autocrlf option look it the help:
>     git help config
> ....then search for 'core.autocrlf'
Yep, had seen that, but it wasn't too clear to a git newb like me
though. Still, I've been finding out more - by trial and error ;)

I had supposed that FPC stored its text files in CRLF format but
obviously both the Git and SVN repositories contain LF data.

I'll get back to the list when necessary. Thanks for the help.

thanks,
Reinier