[fpc-pascal] support for using an activex

Roberto Padovani padovani.r at gmail.com
Wed May 25 22:52:11 CEST 2011

Always thanks!

Given your evident experience on this matter, I kindly ask your advice
on what is best to do.

opt 1) create a fpc class with some pascal style methods, which in
their implementation use variants and call the IDevice class with
late-binding ..... meaning that there is no compiler check and if my
collegue changes the dll, then I have to change these implementations

opt 2) in a reference of those you sent me, there is some example code
from which I take the lines below. In the tlb conversion unit, the
interface and dispinterface of the class are some replicated. Then
also the eventinterface is defined.
The main interface class is defined without and with dispids. With the
dispids, only the properties are defined and not the methods.

  IFileZapper = interface(IDispatch)
    ['{2E2FC5E0-5C0E-4C4F-8CC1-D9F6C5A92BA6}']
    function Get_Directory: WideString; safecall;
    procedure Set_Directory(const Value: WideString); safecall;
    function Get_FileMask: WideString; safecall;
    procedure Set_FileMask(const Value: WideString); safecall;
    procedure BringToFront; safecall;
    property Directory: WideString read Get_Directory write Set_Directory;
    property FileMask: WideString read Get_FileMask write Set_FileMask;
  end;

  IFileZapperDisp = dispinterface
    ['{2E2FC5E0-5C0E-4C4F-8CC1-D9F6C5A92BA6}']
    property Directory: WideString dispid 1;
    property FileMask: WideString dispid 3;
    procedure BringToFront; dispid 10;
  end;

  IFileZapperEvents = dispinterface
    ['{7B6F8ADD-7980-4A35-838B-E1600C43D29E}']
    procedure OnSelectionChanged; dispid 1;
    procedure OnDirectoryChanged(const DirName: WideString); dispid 2;
  end;

Is this somewhat the same thing as the wrapper of option 1? If I write
all of this conversion (and, by the way, how to convert C++ data types
to pascal?? widestring ?), then how can I use it?

In the end, maybe the wiki page about COM interfaces should be update
to something more than 'Word.Application.NewFile'.
I can't share the activex I have, otherwise it would be a good example
to see something useful to start with.

Roberto