[fpc-pascal] FPC 2.4.2 source

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:25:04 CEST 2011

On 21 May 2011 12:44, Bernd Kreuss <prof7bit at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 21.05.2011 12:59, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>> They don't want to force everyone to install firebird, mysql, postgresql, ptcgraph, gtk, gtk2, qt and every other single thing for which FPC has bindings.
>
> "force" is the keyword here. The entire following rant refers to only
> this one word:
>
> Its not their [Debian] business to find non-solutions for these
> non-problems, I would just ignore this.

Which part of Jonas' email did you not understand?  I don't want KDE
pulled in when I'm on Gnome (and vice versa).  It's a real problem
with a real solution.

> They are first making up a non-existing problem (people being "forced"
> to do something they allegedly don't want, although we all know the
> opposite is true and people *always* want a complete and painless
> install to avoid all sorts of problems) and then they are presenting the
> non-solution to this non-problem: Do a lot of work to split things that
> always belonged together while creating a lot of new problems and
> dependency hell nobody has asked for and nobody ever wanted.

When you install from deb files (outside the repo), then packages will
be marked as broken and you can use apt-get -f install to solve the
dependencies from your own repo.  Very easy if you bother to rtfm.

The correct and best way is to use a repo that contains your packages
and add it to your sources.list.

> Just ignore what they [Debian] want. It is not relevant what they
> believe (or guess) what your users might want. Don't let them damage the
> usability and the reputation by listening to them and wasting time
> solving their fantasy problems while this is leading to the creation new
> and very real problems. The sheer existence of this thread (and other
> threads like this and many more) is testifying this.

Nope, this thread was started because Juha contracted temporary
blindness and couldn't find the fpc source package on sourgeforge.
The deb issue was brought up by Rainer.

> The Debian maintainers have no expertise in judging what the users of a
> given software really *want*, especially if they don't use it
> themselves. Simply ignore them. Their opinion does not matter. They will
> accept the big package. Don't bow to them, they want something from you,
> not the other way around!

No, they won't accept a big package, since that would be bad
engineering and inflexible.  And no, they don't want something from
you, otherwise they will come and get it.  They seem to be quite good
at judging what I want.

> The windows installer of Lazarus clearly shows how usability looks like.
> This is what users want! There is no reason why this should not be

Haha, the lazarus installer installs fpc and a bunch of mingw/cygwin
tools inside the lazarus installation.  This is definitely not what I
want, since I've already got my own installations of fpc and mingw.
But this is a Windows solution to a Windows problem: the real
dependency hell.

Henry