[fpc-pascal] Debugging Win32

Martin fpc at mfriebe.de
Fri May 13 01:07:45 CEST 2011

On 12/05/2011 23:49, Justin Smyth wrote:
> Since upgrading to the lazarus 0.9.31 v30288 x64 ( and win32) i've
> noticed the debugging is painfully slow , what use to take only a few
> seconds under 0.9.28 now seems to take 20 to 30 seconds
> I've noticed this in both projects using win32 ( at work ) and my home
> projects on x64 platform for windows.
> Any clues would be welcome on how to solve this .

There are indeed changes, that make some scenarios slower.

Before I go into details, the problems is that some expressions are not
correctly interpreted by gdb => so the IDE has to translate first. To do
this the IDE needs additional information, and to get that from gdb
takes additional time.

This does mostly affect the watches window (and hint evaluation).
In the past the IDE would simple send the expression (the watch) to gdb
as it was. And sometimes return an error, for a correct expression. Now
it does attempt to fixup some of them (not all, there are too many
different ones)

You will experience this slowness if, and only if the watches window is
open. It may also happen with the disassembler view (though that was
never too fast...)

The watches window has a power button now. So if you want to do a couple
of steps without it, you can just power it off => and get speed.
You can also disable individual watches that you do not need at current.

Another way is, if you need to step 2 or 3 instructions, just keep
pressing F8 2 or 3 times, and it should quickly step.  Because as soon
as you press F8 again, the watch evaluation will be stopped.

hope this helps.

Martin