[fpc-pascal] Re: operator overloading and counting references / creating / destoying anonymous instances

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Fri Jul 29 07:39:18 CEST 2011

Bernd schrieb:
 > Occasionally I hear other people mentioning operator overloading as a
 > must-have feature of any decent language but I wonder what real-world
 > problems they are actually solving with it.

I think operator overloading is a pain. As you said: What is the
advantage? For me operators should be defined by the language only
(Pascal) so that everybody who reads the code imediately knows what
happens. Instead you now need additional information (that can be far
away from the code lines you review). That makes code obscure and less
clear. But now there is no way back. It's implemented. Pascal moves in C
direction...