[fpc-pascal] Re: Object Files

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Tue Jul 19 16:59:24 CEST 2011

On 7/19/2011 9:40 AM, leledumbo wrote:
>> since he's changing the OS but not the processor/architecture
>
> Right, I forgot this one. Thanks for clarifying. COFF IS cross-OS but not
> cross architecture, though many other object formats aren't.

OK, from a practical standpoint, I can't interchange obj files like that.

I am writing an application which is a kind of mini IDE used to write web
scripts in pascal within a fairly narrow use case.  The mini IDE would produce
an executable based on fpWeb (<f>cgi, apache mod, maybe ISAPI someday...?) and
my own framework as the base, with the user of the mini IDE contributing some
code/scripts, but mainly the ide will scaffold objects, controllers, etc and
produce a resulting executable which can be deployed.

My thought was to use obj files for my framework code and distribute them with
the IDE application and a minimum fpc installation (or the user having
downloaded/built from source, etc).  The idea being that I could distribute my
code in non-source form and have it linked in the resulting executable produced
by the mini ide application when the user builds the project.

Looks like I'll just need to compile the object files on target platforms.  NP.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee