[fpc-pascal] Re: Object Files

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jul 19 15:25:53 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> compatible and the different ELF based systems might be compatible if
> they run on the same platform (don't know that for sure though).
> But even if you'd have compatible object files you'd have the problem
> that e.g. the Linux one might contain different assumptions about
> structures and call different functions than the FreeBSD one (thus
> problems when linking or during runtime).

Linux and FreeBSD are very compatible, or at least used to (last time I
tested in 6.x,7.x times'.  If I compiled the compiler for FreeBSD on Linux,
with linux binwriter and LD, I could use to result to bootstrap after
running brandelf (which fixes the ELF identifier)

I also tried this with some other tools, but it didn´t work for all
binaries. IIRC some crt examples behaved funky.

Of course with FreeBSD 9.0 switching from gcc to clang might have an impact
there (though most ports will remain compiling with gcc for now)