[fpc-pascal] Re: Pascal and static executable

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Mon Jul 18 19:14:47 CEST 2011

> Why does Pascal compiler generate static linked executable while C/++
compiler will generate dynamic executable ?

It's really compiler dependent. There are Pascal compilers that generate
dynamically linked executables by default and there are C/C++ compilers that
generate static executables by default.

> What are the benefits in this approach and what are the bad things with it
> ?

As stated by Jonas + from me: one bad thing about static linking, you can't
have modular application at binary level, i.e. a couple of executables that
share common codes residing in dynamically linked libraries. one good thing,
static linking allows the linker to do dead code elimination (smartlinking
in FPC term), so your executables contain only codes + datas that it really
uses, thus reducing the size.