[fpc-pascal] Pascal and static executable

ik idokan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:03:09 CEST 2011

Hello List,

I'm writing an article about modern (Object) Pascal, but there is one
subject that I do not fully understand (for the article that is :)) and I
wish to be prepared for it.

Let's say that I write the following code:

program say_hello;

begin
  writeln('Hello');
end.

This code is not linked to any shared library and therefor consider to be
static linked. However if I write the following code:

program say_helloworld;

begin
  writeln('Hello World');
end.

They both have the same size and the same memory footprint.
So what exactly is going on ? Why does Pascal compiler generate static
linked executable while C/++ compiler will generate dynamic executable ?

What are the benefits in this approach and what are the bad things with it ?

Thanks,

Ido