[fpc-pascal] Re: Converting .doc and/or .html to .pdf

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 09:46:22 CET 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 22:27:17 +0100, Andreas Schneider
<aksdb at gmx.de> wrote:

>On Friday, January 28, 2011 15:52 Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>> You're right. The command line is more simple.
>>> Thanks for the tip, I will try this.
>
>> I have not found
>
>Since  you also mentioned that you need to access it from ASP, I guess
>that one might offer you the most flexibility:
>http://www.artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter
>
>...  because you can run it as webservice. Or you can simply invoke it
>from commandline.

Interesting, I have been looking for some way to convert a large
number of Word documents to PDF in some automated way without using MS
Office, because as far as I have seen it would have to be done
manually by printing to a PDF printer.

The company I work for has a system for writing up purchase
specifications for all the parts we use as standardized documents in
Word format. There are literally thousands of these.

The problem is that in order to read them one must have an instance of
MSOffice installed and it sometimes takes a long time to open each
document too. So I have been on the lookout for some way to implement
a program for converting these to PDF.
As an example all our drawings are stored for access by production in
PDF format, which is very simple to use (and quick if one refrains
from using the Adobe reader).

And now this thread appears here that is very similar to what I need.
If a Lazarus/FPC implementation is created, possibly using the
OpenOffice hook described here, I would be very much interested too!

The link above goes in the end to a download of *compiled* java code
so it is not that good for me. An FPC implementation would be really
useful though.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden