[fpc-pascal] Re: Permuted index (KWIC) of function descriptions

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Jan 29 15:18:32 CET 2011

On Fri, January 28, 2011 21:05, Ben Smith wrote:
> 2011/1/28 Tomas Hajny
 .
 .
>> be indeed nice. ;-) Proper support for IBM .INF documents (including the
>> OS/2 API documentation) in his viewer would be very nice too. ;-)))
>
> I remember using OS/2 years ago, and from memory the OS/2 API
> documentation (*.inf files) used many windows open at the same time in
> the VIEW program. I cannot see how that can ever be converted to
> something that will work in the textmode IDE. Plus you will also loose
> any bitmap images/screenshots in any such help files (INF, CHM, HLP,
> HTML etc).

1) Graeme's INF viewer which was the point of the previous posts (cf.
"...in his viewer" above) is not text mode.
2) Actually, an INF viewer working in text mode existed even for
traditional text modes (80x25, 80x50, etc.) in DOS (IBM shipped it with
its PC DOS). The main limitation of that viewer are the memory constraints
(it is a real-mode application).
3) There's no reason why multiple windows couldn't work even in our text
mode IDE (although that was not the original point of my statement).
4) OS/2 API documentation contains no bitmap images or screenshots (Linux
man pages or MSDN documentation for MS Windows API don't require bitmap
images either).

Tomas