[fpc-pascal] Basic instructions for quick start of free basic setup with subversion.

Andrew Haines AndrewD207 at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 22:40:50 CET 2011

On 01/22/11 14:31, Peter Eric Williams wrote:
> Hi pascal list,
>
> Please excuse me asking such a basic question, but I'm new to this list.
>
> I require the basic instructions for quick start with subversion for all
> of the free pascal compiler using subversion.
>
> I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and I am new to Free Pascal and Lazarus.

you have the command right there

"svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk fpc"
"svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk lazarus"

This will create a folder named "fpc" and "lazarus" in the working
directory of the cmd.exe prompt you have open.

If you are setting fpc up for the first time on this computer, you'll
need a starting compiler to compile the source you've just gotten.
Download the correct one from here:
ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/fpc/dist/2.4.2/bootstrap/

If you choose i386-win32-ppc386.zip then extracting that will give you
something like ppc386.exe

cd into the fpc folder and type "PP=/path/to/ppc386.exe make all
install" generally that will install fpc into c:\fpc. It's important to
use gnu make since others like the MS one or borlands are not compatible
with the makefiles fpc uses.

Anyway it's much easier to just install a snapshot from here:
http://www.hu.freepascal.org/lazarus/

Choose the "Lazarus + fpc 2.4.2" "win32" link. This should install a fpc
2.4.2 compiler and the latest svn version of lazarus.

Also this link has a lot of relevant information:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus

Regards,

Andrew

An overview of requirements:

1 and 2 must be in the PATH. unless you use variables to set them
(MAKE=c:\path\to\make.exe AS=c:\path\to\as.exe etc.)

1. Gnu Make
2. Possibly win32 binutils (as.exe ld.exe and some more)
3. Latest Release of FPC for the starting compiler (currently 2.4.2)
4. Fpc Source code, either from a zip file or gotten from subversion
(svn) (compile with a starting compiler from step 3)
5. Lazarus source code (compile with fpc created in step 4)

Further notes:

gnu make gets cranky in windows if you use a path with spaces in it.
That is why fpc and lazarus are generally installed to c:\fpc or
c:\lazarus instead of c:\program files\...