[fpc-pascal] D-Bus. Non blocking listening for signals

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Thu Jan 13 15:15:47 CET 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

>> g_main_context_set_poll_func is only used for the GTK widget set.
>> You'll have to test separately with Qt.
> Hi!
> I developed the Listaller Project, a cross-distro Linux software manager,
> which uses techniques like D-BUS and PolicyKit and had very similar
> problems. You can run Qt4 applications which use GLib (but only GLib!), but
> you need to call g_type_init() in the Qt application somewhere to make
> GObject work. (But only _once_, otherwise you get very strange behavior)
> This makes the application depend on GLib, but not on GTK+. I won't need my
> Listaller D-BUS daemon anymore next time, cause the required parts will get
> merged with the PackageKit project. (D-BUS in Pascal is a PAIN! I wrote a
> small set of simplifications, but it's far away from a state like C/GLib,
> where DBus is very easy to use)

It's rather easy in my opinon ?
I wrote a set of components that generate pascal code from the DBUS
introspection XML, and that works rather nicely. They are not yet published,
because I didn't get around to write the server part.

But I must confess that I have not tried using it in a main loop, so the
problems experienced here are new to me.

Michael.