[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi 2010 RTTI

Cees Binkhorst ceesbink at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 10 12:30:50 CET 2011

On 01/10/2011 12:09 PM, michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, alexvins at mail.ru wrote:

>>> You should re-read Florian's email, and *fully* understand the
>>> consequences.
>>>
>>> Your proposal requires that we emulate all OSes on all other OSes,
>>> because
>>> the basic package (rtl or whatever it will be called) always depends
>>> on the OS. There is no way around this.
>>>
>> My solution, in short,  is that packages should have OS independent
>> interface to RTL built into executable visible to packages as RTL
>> built as c package (with is a bridge to real RTL).
>
> I understood that. Assuming you can make this interface (which I don't
> believe), your solution is still not realistic:
>
> And how will you make a package that uses a os-specific function OS
> independent ? (for instance, a package with a control that uses a WinAPI
> call.)
>
> So a package with the LCL is by definition impossible.
>
> Like I said, your proposal requires that we emulate all OSes on all
> other OSes.

Looking from the top (the user), is that not what is done now?

All applications have the same user-interface for different OS's. So by
definition what is in-between is part application and part
'normalisation' of the OS.

Regards / Cees (who has no practical experience with
fpc-pascal/Lazarus/Freepascal i.e. a lurker)