[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi 2010 RTTI

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Jan 10 15:40:38 CET 2011

On 10 Jan 2011, at 14:46, Alex Shishkin wrote:

> By the way despite the fact that static linking to external
> libraries will be impossible, but dynamic linking could be
> implemented. Anyway I understand that platform independence of code
> imposes certain restrictions and that restrictions impact on
> application design. F.e. interface to external platform dependent
> systems should be isolated in separate package (as I wrote about LCL
> and its widget sets). But I think it makes design better.

What you are proposing is something similar to Google Native Client (http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/
), except that they also added code verification because it's intended
for running native applications downloaded from websites.

That is not directly related to packages, but rather to a completely
new run time environment with its own ABI, object format etc. The
result of having such an environment is indeed that you can have
compiled binary code that is portable across different operating
systems, but that's outside the scope of adding packages support to FPC.

You first have to define such a platform (or you can take the Google
Native Code platform), then add RTL and compiler support to FPC for
that platform, and subsequently any program or package compiled for
that platform by FPC will run on it. Reinventing such a platform and
embedding it in FPC and its run time library falls outside the scope
of the FPC project.

Jonas