[fpc-pascal] The new Delphi compatible unicode string

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 01:16:12 CET 2011

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be kirjoitti tiistai 04 tammikuu 2011 15:08:01:
> Not so here. Off the top of my mind:
> - Explicit encodings run awry
> - Some Components that used explicit Windows DoSomeThingA calls no longer
> functioned. (TProcess for instance suffers)
> - Database fields change type.
> - Strings were saved to stream. All instances where that happened, String
>    had to be changed to AnsiString explicitly
>
> Further, many standard Delphi components had changed their interface.
> IBExpress, Midas etc. jump to mind. They may not have anything to do
> with the strings issue, but they add to the confusion.
>
> In short: Migrating a 1.2 million line app from D7 to Delphi 2010 is not a
> trivial task at all, and a substantial part is due to the strings issue.

I see. My programs were much smaller and were quite clean VCL programs,
meaning they had only few 3rd party components and no Windows API calls.

For streams I also had to define a couple of strings as AnsiString. The
automatic conversion took care of the rest. So, in my case it was easier than
I expected.

Juha