[fpc-pascal] Re: LGPL rtl

ik idokan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 09:22:18 CET 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 10:09, <noreply at z505.com> wrote:

> I wrote
> >
> > If you statically link the lgpl code into your EXE, your exe is the
> module
> > under lgpl now. Therefore all code must be released. Statically linked
> > lgpl code in an exe is not a dll that can be shipped separately.
>
> Nevermind, I see this has been discussed:
>

> http://free-pascal-general.1045716.n5.nabble.com/Name-for-our-license-td2823357.html
>
> Essentially, freepascal RTL is not LGPL, it's a new modified LGPL.

Even without the modified LGPL, you are wrong afaik. LGPL is about keeping
the original code open, while allow you to do commercial work without
releasing your own source. GPL is all about viral licensing. AFAIK the
modified LGPL, claims that there will be no request at all to release such
sources at any point