[fpc-pascal] FPC for ARM

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:16:45 CET 2011

2011/11/28 Henry Vermaak <henry.vermaak at gmail.com>

> There is an arm release for 2.6.0rc1, but it was built using old binutils
> (last time I checked, at least):
>
> ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/**fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/arm-linux/<ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/arm-linux/>

I finally got into installing and testing FPC in the ARM-gadget.
Other people had replaced the original Debian with Ubuntu 9.something.
I was able to copy and install your FPC 2.6.0-rc1 package there. It was
easier than I thought!
The compiler itself works but assembler is missing. See :
---
root at ubuntu:/usr/share/doc/fpc-2.6.0/examples/text# fpc hello.pp
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.0rc1 [2011/10/20] for arm
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Linux for ARMEL
Compiling hello.pp
Assembling hello
hello.pp(19,27) Error: Assembler as not found, switching to external
assembling
hello.pp(19,27) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
---

Does it mean an assembler is always needed with ARM? In my understanding
x86 based PCs don't need a separate assembler with FPC.
"apt-get install as" didn't install anything.

So you'll probably have to build it yourself.  It does build fine natively
> on Ubuntu for arm, if you have a bootstrap compiler that works.  The one
> inside ftp://freepascal.stack.nl/pub/fpc/beta/2.6.0-rc1/bootstrap/ does
> not work for me (probably old binutils issue).  Let me know if you'd like
> my bootstrap binary.

I think it works with old binutils because the Ubuntu version is not very
new either.
Or, is this related to the missing assembler issue somehow?

Juha