[fpc-pascal] debian control files for fpc

David Emerson dle3ab at angelbase.com
Mon Dec 19 00:54:49 CET 2011

> > Where can I find debian control files for fpc?
>
> In the fpcbuild svn repository:
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcbuild/trunk/install/debian/
>
> Vincent

Thanks much!!

I wish it worked :(

I copied all the debian control files from the 2.4.4 release:
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcbuild/tags/release_2_4_4/install/debian/

and, putting that debian directory into my own source directory...
(which I got from sourceforge,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Source/2.4.4/fpc-2.4.4.source.tar.gz)

debuild -us -uc keeps complaining about a directory called "fpcsrc". I tried all
kinds of crazy things to remedy this but it's a no-go, I cannot get it to work
at all.

Ignoring the debian stuff, I can run "make clean all" and it works great!! but
this debian/rules thing is super-lame in its non-working behavior.

Any ideas? This must have worked for somebody, because the packages exist...

Thanks,
David

following are extensive notes of all the crazy things I tried! Thank goodness
for long terminal histories! I hope you are not so bored as to want to read
them, but they're here.

First I got this error:

Applying patch version.diff
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|This patch adds Debian build version to compiler full version.

|--- fpc-2.2.4~/fpcsrc/compiler/version.pas
|+++ fpc-2.2.4/fpcsrc/compiler/version.pas
--------------------------
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored
Patch version.diff does not apply (enforce with -f)
make: *** [debian/stamp-patched] Error 1

So I just deleted the whole patches directory. It is strange the the version is
wrong, too (2.2.4 instead of 2.4.4)

Then I got this error:

# Remove auto-generated version file.
rm -rf fpcsrc/compiler/version.inc
# Add version.inc:
echo \'2.4.4-0\' > fpcsrc/compiler/version.inc
/bin/sh: fpcsrc/compiler/version.inc: No such file or directory

Well, the file version.inc doesn't exist anyway, so I took all instances of it
out of debian/rules

Then I got this error:

--- Cleaning
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
/usr/bin/make -C fpcsrc compiler_distclean
make: *** fpcsrc: No such file or directory.  Stop.

So I changed the name to fpc, but that didn't fix it at all:

/usr/bin/make -C fpc compiler_distclean
make: *** fpc: No such file or directory.  Stop.

So I tried taking out the -C parameters altogether, but that also didn't work:

/usr/bin/make compiler_distclean
make[1]: Entering directory `/Docs/fpc/Debian/fpc'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `compiler_distclean'.  Stop.

I gave up on getting debian/rules to work and thought, maybe there is something
wrong with my fpc sources, like, some naming could be off?

So I tried downloading the svn version from
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_2_4_4

This also did not come with the debian controls included.
And a comparison showed that the svn 2.4.4 release sources are identical to the
ones I already had. Part of me was kind of expecting that to be the case, but
of course part of me was also hoping that *something* would work. But since
they're identical, obviously it won't. find -name '*fpcsrc*' comes up empty.