[fpc-pascal] Re: Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared Delphi 7?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Thu Dec 8 17:35:49 CET 2011

Schindler Karl-Michael schrieb:
> The only question is on the time, when computers are so fast, that hardly anyone will bother about speed of the method.

That's nonsense. The only thing that happens if computers speed
increases is, that you put more code into the same time slot. Otherwise
working with computers would have become blinding fast but the opposite
is the case. The speed increase of computers is overcompensated by
burdening more code on them (which is also a consequence of an attitude
like yours).

I have a program that generates data for a file to test network speed.
Currently I am testing  on 100 MB/s. But soon my program will be used
for 1 GB/s networks. So the data generation has to speed up by a factor
of 10 if it should not slow down. It will never happen that the speed of
the computer will make the impact of the random() function delay go
away. If random() dominates your program it will do so in ten years too.