[fpc-pascal] Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared to Delphi 7?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Thu Dec 8 15:55:00 CET 2011

On Thu, December 8, 2011 08:48, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 8 December 2011 09:25, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
 .
 .
>> And what about people using FPC only and depending on our Random being
>> statistically strong, they are less important then theorical Delphi
>> migrants?
>
> [like what was told to me numerous times before]  They (FPC users)
> should speak up now, or forever hold your peace. And those that have
> spoken so far, all seem to be fine with a less statistically strong
> default Random(), and have the statistically strong one available in
> the Maths unit.

It's always that people who want changes are louder than those who are
happy with the current state. Changing something (to worse, at least for
some users) shouldn't be done just because people not happy with the
current state are louder than those who are happy now, should it?

Anyway: some people expressed their wish to keep the current solution as
the default option exactly like you suggested, and you still argue with
them that their view is not valid - strange...

Tomas