[fpc-pascal] Re: Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared to Delphi7?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:45:15 CET 2011

On 8 December 2011 12:56, Schindler Karl-Michael wrote:
> about a more accurate method, which is too expensive for your application at the
> moment.

Yeah, I'll just tell my clients that they can't run my app yet, we
need to wait a few more years for Intel and AMD to catch up to my
work. Like that would fly!

> How disgraceful is a replacement by a less accurate solution

I never had the intention to remove FPC's Random MT implementation
completely. Simply make it the non-default option, and move it into a
more specialized unit (maths.pp) where other more specialized math and
statistical functions are defined.

> and how about the grace to implement your own solution

In the mean time, I have implemented my own faster performing random
generator, and used that instead. Even though my problem is now
solved, I would still like to make the change to FPC too. I'll prepare
a patch and see what the FPC developers say.

  - Graeme -