[fpc-pascal] Why is Random(255) some 529x slower compared to Delphi 7?

Andreas Berger Andreas at TheBergerClan.org
Wed Dec 7 17:48:07 CET 2011

> FPC uses MT at least for 10 years and nobody complained about
> performance yet. So I suspect the cases might be very rare when random
> performance matters and having good random numbers is always a good
> thing ... I prefer not to change it but it's fine for me for delphi
> compatibility's sake ;)
Or maybe it's because no one had anything to compare it to. I have a
program that sends encrypted data every night to our data base. The
encryption part (which I wrote with random numbers) is VERY slow. I
never gave it much thought since it is running at a time where not much
else is happening. But I will look into it now.