[fpc-pascal] Should Lazarus and FPC release library updates separately from product updates?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Aug 12 13:11:34 CEST 2011

On 12 Aug 2011, at 13:04, Frank Church wrote:

> Unless library updates don't depend on product updates shouldn't
> they be
> kept separate?
>
> I don't know if it is something already done that is not explained
> well
> enough or is not done at all?

It is not done at all for FPC. The reason is that it requires a lot of
work (testing and packaging for umpteen platforms) and there is no one
who has volunteered to do that work.

With the upcoming fppkg infrastructure (http://wiki.freepascal.org/
fppkg), this may however become easier to do in the future.

Jonas