[fpc-pascal] FreeVision usable in a client/server database application?

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 11:14:03 CEST 2011

On 4-8-2011 10:50, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 3 August 2011 15:53, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
>> While I'm doing that, I thought about using character mode terminals
>> (DOS or Linux shell) for quick data entry.
>
> As Michael said, it could definitely work. But is there any specific
> reason why you would like to choose a terminal app over a GUI
> (desktop) app? Or even a Web app? Easy deployment with little
> dependencies, end-users are already used to terminal apps etc?
Goeiemore Graeme (& almal),

I think I didn't make myself clear. My intentions were to:
1. Create a business layer using FreePascal
2. Create a Lazarus desktop (maybe smartphone) app that uses the units in 1.
3. To see if I could create a really fast user entry solution, create a
FreeVision app using the units in 1.
4. Create a web application (using e.g. FastCGI) using the units in 1.

With 1 and 2 being "compulsory" or at least first steps, the rest can
come later.

> If you do use tiOPF, you could always use tiOPF's MGM
> (Model-GUI-Mediator) which makes GUI binding very easy with very
> little code. MGM already supports fpGUI, LCL and VCL. I would
> obviously recommend fpGUI for the job, which gives you lots of
> possibilities to customize the look of your app, and it has very low
> library dependencies... but them I might be a bit bias towards fpGUI.
Biased? I wouldn't think so ;)

I'll certainly keep it under consideration - and if I use tiOPF, I'd
surely use MGM for Lazarus code.

Keeping the application modular will give me the chance to learn new
things (web apps, fpGUI) without messing too much with things I know a
bit about (FreePascal, database access, Lazarus desktop apps).

Thanks,
Reinier