[fpc-pascal] x86-64 vs x86_64 vs x64

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:11:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

I searched the FPC Programmer's Guide and Users Guide, and nowhere is
there a definitional of description explaining the difference.

So here is to anybody that knows: What is the difference between a
target x86-64, target x86_64 and a target x64?

eg:
Here is the output of my FPC compiler under Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) using
FPC 2.4.5 (latest fixes branch).

$ fpc -i
----------------------------------
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.4.5

Compiler Date      : 2011/07/08
Compiler CPU Target: x86_64

Supported targets:
  Linux for x86-64
  FreeBSD for x86-64
  Win64 for x64
  Darwin for x86_64
  Solaris for x86-64 (under development)

There are 3 different 64-bit targets listed, but what is the difference
between them. Is is this just a typo somewhere in the compiler (though I
doubt that).

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/