[fpc-pascal] Is there a way to create a Firebird embedded database programmatically?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Aug 3 12:50:37 CEST 2011

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Tony Whyman wrote:

> I understand now what you are doing and would agree that for a simple
> demo, you really do want to create the DB in code. I am thinking more
> about distributing and supporting a fully supported application.
>
> Interesting that I seemed to get so much push-back when I suggested isql
> - I did so as a simple way to distribute a patch (and with an underlying
> assumption that you would install a copy in your application directory
> in order to avoid searching for it). In practice, I don't use isql to
> patch a deployed database but have my own set of units to execute an SQL
> Script using the TIBSQL component. I didn't suggest this because this is
> more than just executing a script, but also includes version control
> tables in the database itself and a configuration file distributed with
> the scripts to tell the updating application which scripts have to be
> applied to get to a specific patch level and so on. Or to put it another
> way, I didn't want to get into a lengthy discussion on how to maintain a
> database in the field. Perhaps I should have just avoided the topic :(

Funny to see that you actually do (A) and then recommend doing (B).

When in fact, I do (A) almost exactly as you do, and so would expect
you to recommend (A) as well ?

Practice learns that the so-called 'simple solutions' (B)
over time turn out to be highly insufficient, and you end up doing (A) anyway.

So better recommend (A) from the start :-)

It was not my intention to scare you off, my apologies if it came over as such :-/

Michael.