[fpc-pascal] delphi compatibility

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Apr 21 20:24:36 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, John Lee said:
> Just downloaded & tried to registry.pas - for accessing win registry. It
> uses SysUtils, WinTypes, WinProcs, Messages, Classes,ShellAPI
>
> My standard v242 fpc win compiler/rtl doesn't have these wintypes, winprocs
> or messages. Where are these & why aren't they there by default?

Nowhere.

> Are they delphi?

They are deprecated since D2, and substituted by unit Windows. Delphi has a
workaround for this to this day.

Since we never supported D1, we never implemented the workaround.

In short:

1) if the originating project doesn't still support D1 they should simply
clean this up.

2) if the originating project still supports D1: "IT IS 2011 NOW!"