[fpc-pascal] Any recommendations for a good in-memory storage type

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:59:10 CEST 2010

On 22 September 2010 13:31, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> No. But it allows you to keep text as text, not as streamed value.

I'll see how it goes, maybe I could store text as text, and binary as
binary - this will allow for the least amount of conversions. Plus the
storage variable not being used will not be initialized - to reduce
memory consumption. I'll experiment further.

> If you don't operate much on it, it doesn't matter. But the above sounds
> like you do most of the work on text, not binary blobs.

Well, that will depend on the application the developer writes, not on
what I do or use.

> variants support most base Delphi types, afaik including class , interface
> and dyn array.

Supporting delphi data types is pointless when drag and drop occurs
between two applications - hence the reason I am opting for the
mime-type standards. This is why I can't believe the stupid
drag-n-drop support implemented in Delphi and Kylix. There, the data
enters the event handler as a TObject instance, so the VCL and CLX
frameworks only support drag-n-drop inside the same application. For
external DND, you must revert to external OS API's - using Win32 API
under Windows, and no idea what under Kylix.

  - Graeme -