[fpc-pascal] SNAPI Driver and USB HID

Johann Glaser Johann.Glaser at gmx.at
Tue Sep 7 10:11:32 CEST 2010

Hi!

Am Dienstag, den 07.09.2010, 01:01 +0200 schrieb Luca Olivetti:
> Al 06/09/10 22:28, En/na Johann Glaser ha escrit:
>
> > Unfortunately, /dev/ttyUSB0 is not standardized but requires different
> > drivers for every chip (e.g. cp2101, ft232, ...). For the MS4407 scanner
> > I didn't yet find a serial driver. So, unfortunately, the RS232
> > emulation does not work too. :-(
>
> That's worrying, since I'm going to have to use a similar symbol scanner
> in the near future.
> Did you actually try to plug it in when configured in com port emulation?
> If so, what did you see in dmesg, /var/log/syslog?

Just that it is a HID device. Looking at lsusb -d showed a much smaller
amount of endpoints like with the SNAPI interface. But the kernel did
not load any serial driver.

Probably the scanner does emulate an UART chip which resembles one of
those the kernel has drivers (e.g. cp2101 or so), but playing around is
tedious.

OTOH the Sub-D-9 connector also provides real RS232 signals (with TTL
level) besides the USB signals. But this is not an option for me.

Bye
  Hansi