[fpc-pascal] Re: setting variables with DWARF in gdb

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 22:05:00 CEST 2010

On 30 October 2010 21:41, ABorka  wrote:

> This was there back in Delphi 5 already. All you needed to do is to switch

I thought so, because the project I remember working on was written in
D5 (many years back), and I was pretty sure I use this feature then.

> code. It is one of the things I really really miss (it saved hours of wasted
> time when debugging of the handling of different conditions in the code)

My point exactly.

> Not to mention to see every variable and object property value I want,
> without a doctorate in GDB and Lazarus internals.

I'd suggest you try MSEide for debugging then. Yes it still uses GDB,
but its debugging support (breakpoints, breakpoints with counters,
breakpoints at assembly level, watchpoints, CPU view (editable),
Watches (also editable), Assembly view etc are years ahead of Lazarus.
Debugging support in Lazarus is actually quite terrible. The Lazarus
team have totally lost their focus and are obsessed with eye-candy
only. The sad thing is, Lazarus is what most people use when they
start using FPC, and just get used to the crappiness over time and
think there is nothing better out there. They are wrong.

MSEide takes some getting used too (simply because it's not trying to
be a Delphi clone), but once you understand the basics and worked with
it for a few days, the way the projects and other settings are managed
actually seems very logical. It took me a while to figure out how to
setup my ideal project templates too - this now saves me a lot of
time, and all code is navigateable inside the source editor too. I
don't use the LCL or MSEgui toolkits, but even if you did use LCL, you
can still use MSEide for debugging purposes - as good _working_ GUI
frontend for GDB and an editor that knows about Object Pascal. I
frequently switch between the two IDE's while working on the same
project, but lately spend more and more time in MSEide.

  - Graeme -