[fpc-pascal] ReadStr/WriteStr vs Val/Str

Richard Ward roward at mac.com
Tue Oct 19 01:56:20 CEST 2010

As a user of the old Macintosh Pascal (later THINK Pascal),  both ReadStr and WriteStr functions were included and I used them quite a bit.   The names were different but the FPC implementation is basically the same as far as I can tell.

Besides backward compatibility, portability issues and personal preference, is there any functionality Val and Str may have that ReadStr and WriteStr don't?  I can't see any, but wanted to make sure there there were no subtle technical issue(s) I might need to consider.

Thank you for implementing these functions.