[fpc-pascal] Re: Multi-threaded project with few locks (no Thread.waitfor). Memory consumption keeps increasing on Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat Oct 16 21:16:00 CEST 2010

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010, Marco van de Voort wrote:

>>> All I have seen is some complaint about slow starting threads by sb who can't
>>> even find the proper pthread source, and now we are suddenly making room for
>>> a native threadmanager?
>>
>> Isn't a native threadmanager for Linux on the wishlist of FPC users for
>> quite some time now? :)
>
> Not mine. And yes, there has been a lot of echoing of sentiment, but I never
> saw a decent problem definition, and what a native solution would actually
> fix.

It would allow me to write programs that are multithreaded and don't use external libs.

And yes, they do exist. Not GUI, but server apps. Now, the only dependency is often
libc for the threads.

There is a clear target: FPC programs without external libs, capable of
multi-threading and thread synchronization, which basically means:
- Ability to create threads.
- Ability to use mutexes across threads.
- Ability to use semaphores.

It's not because you don't see the value, that other people don't.
So at least, please don't stop them from trying to go somewhere,
even if you don't want to go there.

Michael.