[fpc-pascal] FPC for High Performance Computing (HPC) Components with Application API

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 15:37:19 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Henry Vermaak <henry.vermaak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've told you before: NPTL is part of the glibc sources.  Download the
> latest glibc sources and look in the nptl directory.  The latest glibc
> release is 2.11.2.

FPC source to cThreads unit and the thread manager associated with
threading under linux presently calls a pthreads.so object.  When I
did my research I thought I was correct in making an assumption that
pthreads.so would require a pthreads project with it's own make file
;-) That is the latest and greatest pthreads project which is now
associated with glibc.

> pthreads is the standard, not the implementation.  The current most
> widely used implementation is called NPTL.  Your link points to
> LinuxThreads (judging by the name, I didn't download):

pthreads is not the standard.  pthreads.so is the implementation of
POSIX thread specification to be precise :-)

Ok. You mentioned NPTL.  What can you tell me about that?  Is that the
project that makes pthreads?

I'm looking to get the latest and greatest source of posix threads so
I draw upon that code and perhaps even come up with a native version
for FPC.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.