[fpc-pascal] Re: Multi-threaded project with few locks (no Thread.waitfor). Memory consumption keeps increasing on Ubuntu 10.10 x64

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 15 22:13:36 CEST 2010

On 15.10.2010 21:26, Vinzent Höfler wrote:

>>> No. TThread has. Last time I looked into CThreads it was a more or
>>> less thin binding to the pthreads API.
>>
>> TThread has RFI. But are you then suggesting you want to improve w/o
>> using libc !?!
>
> I suggest to remove the bottlenecks causing the slowdown at the
> point where they are created. Alas, I was long enough involved with
> that stuff that I came to the conclusion that the original Delphi-API
> is seriously flawed and can not be implemented both efficiently *and*
> correctly. So, I'd rather see a FPThread class than hacking some
> pthreads libraries.

I'm curious. How should this FPThread class look like? You saw flaws in
Delphi's API so what would you do better?

Note: I'm not implying that Delphi's API is good... as a Delphi/FPC user
I don't know of another Object Oriented Pascal alternative and thus
would like to know what you'd improve.

Regards,
Sven