[fpc-pascal] GetTempFileName in Linux

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 14:31:17 CEST 2010

Am 07.10.2010 14:21, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Sven Barth wrote:

>>> Some applications must write in the application directory.
>>>
>>> Our apps do automatic updates at least once a month. The updates cannot
>>> be postponed. I don't see how this can be achieved without writing in
>>> the
>>> application directory.
>>
>> As "updating applications" is an administrative task it should only be
>> done by those users that are allowed to do that.
>
> Yes, but if the administrator must update 20 PCs manually every 2 weeks,
> he quickly complains that he has better things to do, so it must be done
> when the 'ordinary' user uses the application.

But this is one of the tasks that a administrator should do. He should
check that "his" computers are in good and up to date condition (that
most admins think a bit different about this is another story...)

> I'm not making this up, it's just real life.

That's the problem :(

> I am aware of the theory and the good practices, but in a commercial
> environment, different rules enter the game. I just haven't found a
> satisfying solution yet :-)

Perhaps the correct solution would be to create a user group that's
named e.g. "Michael's software users" and this group is granted write
permission to your software's main directory. Now every user who uses
your software is added to the group and voila! (that would even work on
*nix systems)

I know that it isn't as easy as it sounds - we have similar problems
with our customers - but this should be the best possible solution for
this problem without "stressing" the admin to do to much work.

Regards,
Sven