[fpc-pascal] GetTempFileName in Linux

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 14:14:34 CEST 2010

Am 07.10.2010 13:43, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Sven Barth wrote:
>
>>> So: Norms ? Thank you, but I'll pass on that and implement what I
>>> perceive as
>>> simple and correct :-)
>>
>> If the applications would keep their read only files in 'c:\program
>> files' and write only into those directories that they should (e.g.
>> user's appdata and global appdata (although this one should not be
>> used for sharing writable files...)) we wouldn't have all these
>> problems (virtual file store, UAC, etc.).
>
> Some applications must write in the application directory.
>
> Our apps do automatic updates at least once a month. The updates cannot
> be postponed. I don't see how this can be achieved without writing in the
> application directory.

As "updating applications" is an administrative task it should only be
done by those users that are allowed to do that. Normal users can't
write to /usr/ on *nix either, so I don't know why all have trouble to
accept that this is something a normal user should not do... (and no,
I'm not taking "on 9x it was done that way" as an excuse :P )

Regards,
Sven