[fpc-pascal] More Win CE

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 09:31:17 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <
felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Matt Emson
> <memson.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > There is little chance that will happen as it assumes Nokia will focus on
> > Meego... Nokia can't focus on a blade of grass on a sunny day - they will
> > carry on as is IMO and be shamed in to releasing cheap and shoddy
> hardware
> > in a few years when it will be too little too late to save their
> business.
>
> Which smartphone platform do you recommend then?

Felipe,
this is an excellent question, cause after the reading all the discussion,
one can see also the answer in it  - there's no perfect platform.

But I thought about it recently and I think at least that there's a platform
that could be such  - Symbian. I know that there was a big drop in
popularity for it and also from the developer point of view it's a devil
since they were probably the first introducing signing (=approving) years
before Apple. But there are factors that can be considered:
- Native compiling approach from the start, ARM-based as long as I remember
- This is the core business for Nokia, they did the move from general
handsets to smartphones as seamless as possible so half of the their
handsets selling in Europe are smartphones and a large part of the consumers
even doesn't know about this fact. It means that no matter who would win in
a tech-savvy part of the world, but there will always be many peoples giving
money to Nokia for smartphones buying them only for being good phones. The
fact that this is a very important part of Nokia business means that they
won't kill it in one day. Maemo, MeGoo is different, it's an experiment from
the buisness point of view.
- Symbian is the only polished platform for 9-key devices (remember, you
general phones are still umber-key devices) . I own a Nokia 6120c for
several years and as a telephone it's almost perfect (being also very small)
and also there are excellent applications taking advantage of the facts that
the keys are the part of the system.  (T9Nav for example). But
unfortunately, the competition with iPhone led the team from key-based for
touch-based devices.

I think that Nokia just needs to do few additional steps to free the OS:
completely open source it and free from signing. From technical point of you
it should not be that hard. From the business side it's also interesting
since in contrary to Microsoft that has the only revenue from licensing, the
Nokia actually sells not software, they sells bells and whistles in
hardware: Carl-Zeiss optics, great design, etc and open-source world just
can't be a threat in this area.

Max