[fpc-pascal] Corba Interfaces and IInterface query

Matt Emson memson.lists at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 14 18:45:52 CET 2010

On 14 Nov 2010, at 13:16, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 November 2010 14:18, Sven Barth wrote:
>> IInterface and IUnknown are the same in Delphi 7 as well as they are in FPC
>> (although they are aliased the other way round, but that doesn't matter).
>

> So then comes the big question — why have IInterface then, if it is
> exactly the same as IUnknown, yet not a known COM interface name?

Delphi 5 supported both "COM" and CORBA. No IInterface, only IUnknown.

Delphi 3 supported COM without interfaces at all.

When I was still doing Delphi, it was 5.  We used to use Interfaces all the time, but we simply reimplemented the TInterfacedObject and ignored the COM methods. We used them much as one would with in .Net these days. More about light public interfaces, encapsulation and delegation rather than ref counting and such.