[fpc-pascal] Powtils Apache and Windows Seven 64bits

Leonardo M. Ramé martinrame at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 17:13:51 CEST 2010

--- On Mon, 5/24/10, Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net> wrote:

> From: Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net>
> Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Powtils Apache and Windows Seven 64bits
> To: "FPC-Pascal users discussions" <fpc-pascal at lists.freepascal.org>
> Date: Monday, May 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM,
> Leonardo M. Ramé <martinrame at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks Leledumbo, FreeSpider worked perfectly, I did
> some tests of GET/POST vars and Templates, and it fits my
> needs wonderfully.
> >
> > I also tried fpWeb, but it has some problems
> (EWriteError : Stream write error) on Windows Seven 64, or
> with Apache 2.2.15, I don't know, in Lazarus list I posted a
> couple of questions trying to let it work.
> >
> > The only thing I miss from PowTils is executable size,
> a simple program in FreeSpider took ~7mb, and with -XX -Xs
> it went down to 1.6Mb. I know it will be cached in the
> server, and that's not an issue for my app, but it looks
> like too big for a simple CGI program. Anyway, I'll use it
> for this project.
>
> Do someone uses FreeSpider? I don't know if it is a real
> framework for
> production.
>

> Marcos Douglas

I'll use it in production. With CGI you have one advantage over Apache Modules or Embedded web servers, as far as your "actions" do their work without errors, you don't have to worry about possible memory leaks related to concurrency problems or threads or anything like that, CGI's are much less complex than servers. Knowing this, I'm pretty sure FreeSpider will fit my needs for this particular project.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com