[fpc-pascal] standard unit description -- builtin funcs & procs

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:55:46 CEST 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:09:42 +0200 (CEST)
"Tomas Hajny" <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:

> > http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/user/userch9.html
>  .
>  .
>
> BTW, you may also want to have a look at
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Unit_categorization - it's incomplete (some
> newer units are missing there), but it still may help you a bit (and you
> or anyone else are welcome to extend it with further findings). Obviously,
> it's just for the first orientation especially for newcomers not having TP
> and/or Delphi background; the details are provided within the reference
> guide.
>
> Tomas

Thank you very much, Thomas. This page seems to be what I missed.

Actually, the issue is for me there seems to be (from an outside/newcomer pov) no organisation principle for libs (?), units, funcs, types that come with fpc. For instance, there are collections in various units, and those are not predictable for me (why the f*** is TFPList in "classes"? It one and a half hour to find it using a systematic review, after someone mentionned it) (and why not even listed in the overview of "classes"? while TList is there http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/classes/index.html) (and why is "classes" in "rtl", by the way?).

I'll update/expand the page as I get to know better what it points to. A short introduction to the content, structure and use of fpc units' ref pages would also be helpful, what do you think?

denis